After a flurry of new ETF launches the last few
weeks months, things cooled down a bit the last few days. So while we have a break, how about a little ETF history trivia? So next time you are on Jeopardy, you'll own the ETF category...
- The first ETF was launched in 1989, but not in the US. It was launched in Canada
- And that first ETF was the Toronto Index Participation Fund
- In 1993, the US launched its first ETF - SPY, the S&P 500 ETF
- The first ETF in Asia launched in 1999 - The Hong Kong Tracker Fund
- The First Europe ETF launched in 2001 - Europe's Euro STOXX 50
Flash forward to 2012 and we currently have 1455 exchange products. We've come a long way, baby.